Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Simple Reversible Apron Tutorial

I had quite a few people asking about the pattern etc that I used for the girls apron I made a few weeks ago. I searched the net for a simple reversible tutorial, but didn't find anything that was quite what I was looking for.

I wanted the double layer to provide a little more protection for kids clothes, and to be able to use two cute fabrics! and also wanted no tie around the neck, to make it easier to put on. I ended up drafted up my own pattern, and today I made a boys version. It is basically the same to process to make, just this one is a much squarer and more masculine design. You could easily adapt this method and measurements to make the girls apron by rounding off the shape and adding the pockets before sewing the pieces together. The only other difference is that this was made in two pieces, which made matching up the waistband so much easier, the girls version was all one piece (if I make it again I will do it in two pieces like this tutorial) They both have the elasticised neck band so there is one less thing for small fingers to try and tie.

Please excuse any of the incorrect sewing terminology and techniques, I'm only a new sewer and I basically just do what I think will be the simplest way! and excuse any typos if you find any, I was doing this on photoshop with the kids playing at my feet today, and forgot to save the ps files as well before I proofed it properly!






1 comments:

PharmerFarmer said...

Thank you for sharing. I think this could easily be made larger for bigger kids!